Summer is here again and that means endless choices on where to spend your hard earned money to see your favorite bands from the past (their favorite time to play). These bands will be mounting tours to hit county fairs, casinos and local venues. But before you spend up to $100 or more to see one of these bands, you might want to do some research. Many of these bands do not include the members that sang/ created the music you loved. As a matter of fact some don’t have any original members at all!
Lets take some bands that are touring this summer, even some coming to San Diego, and see who’s in the band.
- Foghat will be at the San Diego Fair on June 16th. They are a band from the 70’s and had a string of hits that included hits “Fool For The City”, “Drivin’ Wheel”, “I Just Wanna Make Love To You”. Unfortunately the lead singer and principal songwriter died in 2000. The only original member of the band now is the drummer.
- The Spinners performing at the San Diego Fair on July 1st does not include their original singer.
- I was surprised to find out that Blue Öyster Cult who are performing on July 5th at the San Diego Fair, have no original members! Not even that guy that Saturday Night made fun of in the skit “More Cowbell”. Now how could they get rid of him?
- The Temptations performing at Viejas on June 12th have only one original member.
- Supergroup Asia who is performing at Viejas on August 26th is missing their two super members, guitarist Steve Howe and drummer Carl Palmer.
- At least Creedence Clearwater Revisited had the decency to change their name from Creedence Clearwater Revival (more likely the lawyers made them) since it only includes the drummer and rhythm guitarist from that band. CCR without John Fogerty is just not the same. If you actually want to catch them you can for a very hefty price of $67 at Humphreys Concerts By The Bay on August 12th.
- Chicago was one of the number one bands in the 70’s lead by Peter Cetera who left the band in 1985. Current original members include the keyboard player and three of their woodwinds section. They will be at Humphreys Concerts By The Bay on August 19 with tickets starting at $110 (wow).
- Foreigner tours with the only original member being the guitarist. How can you listen to a Foreigner song without the original singer? Just can’t in my mind. So lucky for San Deigns, Lou Gramm will be performing at the San Diego Fair on June 22.
So do your homework before spending your cash for a summer concert. Google and Wikipedia will be your greatest sources for who is actually currently in the band. An alternative is taking in one of the very talented tribute bands that perform on a regular basis in San Diego such as the Atomic Punks (Van Halen), Cashed Out (Jonny Cash), Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin), Iron Maidens (Iron Maiden) and Dead Man’s Party (Oingo Boingo) just to name a few. You can see these bands sometimes free or around $10 or less.